Sunday, January 21, 2007

Lesson Five: More beliefs: The God

      Ok, now we turn our attention to the God. Now his role in the Craft should be as equal as the Goddess. And if we practice the Craft like it is supposed to be practiced, he would be. Be, many of us don't. I myself do this at times. We neglect the God in a lot of ways. Sometimes forgetting he's even there. I have, so don't worry if you do this from time to time.

   The God has his role right by the Goddesses side. She has her Duties, and he has his. I'll get to those in a later chapter. Right now I would like to show you more of what the God is called, and some of the works that has been done about him. Now there is not as much done on the God, as there is on the Goddess. This is due to the Craft being more feminists then anything else. But the works that I have found I would like to share with you now.

 

 

GODS

NOTE: This list is not all inclusive. I have listed gods from the main pantheons.

Afterlife: Chung K"uei (Chinese)

Agriculture: Amaethon (Celtic), Occator (Roman), Shen Nung (Chinese)

Animals: Cernunnos (Celtic)

Air, Sky & Wind: Aeolos (Greek), Boreas (Greek), Feng Po (Chinese), Horus (Egyptian), Njord (Norse), Tiwaz (Germanic)

Arts: Govannon (Celtic), Lug (Celtic), Ptah (Egyption)

Brewing: Gobniu (Celtic)

Chaos: Chaos (Greek), Seth (Egyptian)

Creator: Brahma (Hindu), Lodur (Germanic), Netefertum (Egyptian), Yng (Norse)

Day: Dagr (Norse)

Dead & Underworld: Anubus (Egyptian), Donn (Celtic), Hades (Greek), Mors (Roman), Osiris (Egyptian), Othin (Germanic), Thanatos (Greek), Ull (Norse)

Desire: Himerus (Greek)

Fate: Say (Egyptian),

Fatherhood: Odhinn (Norse), Zeus (Greek)

Fertility: Cernunnos (Celtic), Kronos (Greek)

Fire: Agni (Hindu), Chu Jung (Chinese), Gerra (Mesopotamian), Hephaistos (Greek), Vulcanus (Roman)

Guardian & Protection: Anti (Egyptian), Dagda (Celtic), Ha (Egyptian), Nahi (Arabian)

Guardians of Children: Chang Hs'ien (Chinese), Pilumnus (Roman)

Guardians of Doorways: Aker (Egyptian), Hulda (Norse), Men Shen (Chinese), Portunus (Roman)

Harvest: Kondos (Finnish), Neper (Egyptian), Occator (Roman)

Healing & Medicine: Aesculapius (Greek), Asklepios (Greek), The Asvins (Hindu), Basamum (Arabian), Diancecht (Celtic)

Horse: Hayasya (Hindu), Pollux (Roman), Polydeukes (Greek)

Hunting: Herne (Celtic), Hittavainen (Finnish)

Justice & Law: Thor (Norse), Tyr (Norse)

Knowledge & Wisdom: Ganesa (Hindu), Logos (Greek), Mimir (Norse), Thoth (Egyptian)

Lightning, Storms & Thunder: Aelos (Greek), Donar (Germanic), Thor (Norse)

Love: Amor (Roman), Cupid (Roman)

Luck & Fortune: Fu Shen (Chinese), Hotei (Shinto), Sors (Roman)

Magick: Ningirama (Mesopotamian)

Marriage: Hymenaios (Greek)

Messenger: Hermes (Greek), Hermod (Norse), Mercurius (Roman)

Money & Wealth: Kubera (Hindu), Plutos (Greek), Tsai Shen (Chinese)

Moon: Aglibol (Arabian), Khonsu (Egyptian), Mani (Norse), Thoth (Egyptian)

Music: Ihy (Egytian), Narada (Hindu)

Poetry, Speech & Writing: Bragi (Norse), Kuei Shing (Chinese), Ogmius (Celtic), Vagisvara (Buddhist)

Reincarnation: Balder (Norse)

River: Akelos (Greek), Condatis (Celtic), Hermus (Roman)

Seas & Oceans: Aegir (Norse), Glaukos (Greek), Manannan (Celtic), Okeanos (Greek), Poseidon (Greek), Tritons (Roman)

Sleep: Hypnos (Greek), Morpheus (Greek), Somnus (Roman)

Sun: Belenus (Celtic), Helios (Greek), Re (Egyptian), Sol (Roman)

Travel & Passage: Ilmarinen (Finnish), Janus (Roman), Terminus (Roman), Wepwawet (Egyptian)

Trees: Silvanus (Roman)

War: Ares (Greek), Chang Fei (Chinese), Mars (Roman), Montu (Egyptian), Neit (Celtic), Thor (Norse), Wodan (Germanic)

Water: Annar (Norse), Apsu (Mesopotamian)

Winter: Hodur (Norse)

Wolves: Lupercus (Roman)

Youth: Mabon (Celtic)

Cernunnos: Also consart of Aradia.

 

Now that we have some what of an idea of how many names there are for the God, let's look at yet another asspect of him, by a really good author.

 

The Horned God and the Green Man by Lady Cumina

He is known by many names: the Horned God, the Green Man (Celtic), the Stag Lord, Herne the Hunter, Cernunnos (Romano Celtic), Dagda (Celtic), Cerne (Celtic), Atho (Welsh), Pan (Greek) and Arddhu (Welsh).

He is the Lord of the wild hunt and of the forest, and of fertility. He is the embodiment of wild nature and the male principle. Horns are a symbol of strength and virility, and also a source of protection. He rules the masculine side of nature. He is the Father of wild animals and forests, physical passion, fertility, desire, traveling, crossroads, and warriors. His spirit is in the trees, plants, stones, mountains, and sun. He is the Goddess's Consort, as well as her son.

In the Summerland, he is King. He accompanies the souls of the dead on their journey to the Summerland, and stays with them from Samhain to Yule.

The Sabbats are his dance of life and death. He is born on Midwinter night (Yule), and grows strong and fast. On Imbolc, he is still suckling at the breast of his Mother. By Spring, he has grown into a young man and begins to court his consort. On Beltane, he weds the Goddess and plants his seed within her to ensure his rebirth. He is at his peak on Midsummer, a powerful man in his prime--the Hunter and the Green Man. By Lammas, he is waning, becoming the wise Father and Leader. Mabon sees his death, as he takes part in the cycle of life. On Samhain, he leads the souls of the departed to the Summerland as they await rebirth. On Midwinter, he comes to life once more.

 

   I think she explians it really well. That's why I used her work. And giver her credit for her work. Now the next work I'm gonna share with you is The Charge of the God.

 

 

 

THE CHARGE OF THE GOD

Listen to the words of the Great Father, He who of old was also called among men Apollo, Baal, Samin, Ares, Osiris, Adonis, Zeus, Thor, Jupiter, Pan, Cernunnos, Herne, Lugh and by many other names:

Eight times during the Wheel of the year, the four days that quarter the Wheel and the four days that fall between, celebrate My gifts to you, for it is I who turns the Wheel of Life and the Wheel of the Year. Without Me, there would be no death and only because of Me can there be rebirth.

My Law is Harmony with all things. Mine is the secret that opens the gates of life and Mine is the dish of salt of the earth that is the body of Cernunnos that is the eternal circle of rebirth.

I give the knowledge of life everlasting, and beyond death I give the promise of regeneration and renewal. I am the sacrifice, the Father of all things, and My protection blankets the earth.

I who am the Lord of the Hunt and the Power of the Light, sun among the clouds and the secret of the flame, I call upon your bodies to arise and come unto Me. For I am the flesh of the earth and all its beings. Thru Me all things must die and with Me are reborn.

Let My worship be in the body that sings, for behold all acts of willing sacrifice are My rituals. Let there be desire and fear, anger and weakness, joy and peace, awe and longing within you. For these too are part of the mysteries found within yourself, within Me, all beginnings have endings, and all endings have beginnings.

 

   So let's look at another work. This one is The Charge of the Dark God.

 

 

THE CHARGE OF THE DARK GOD

Listen to the words of the Dark God, who was of old called Lakchos, Donn, Anubis, Hades, Setesh, Hoder, and by many other names:

Heed My call, beloved ones, come unto Me and learn the secrets of death and peace. I am the corn at harvest and the fruit on the trees. I am the consort and mate of She whom we adore, call forth to thee.

I am the shadow in the bright day; I am the reminder of mortality at the height of living. I am Death so that Life may continue. For behold, Life is immortal because the living must die. On swift night wings, I lay you at the Mother's feet to be reborn and to return again. I am He who leads you home.

Scourge and flame, blade and blood--these are Mine gifts to thee. Call unto Me in the forest wild and on hilltop bare and seek Me in the Darkness Bright.

I am the strength that protects, that limits; I am the power that says No, and No further. I am the things that cannot be spoken of, and I am the laughter at the edge of Death. Come with Me into the warm enfolding dark; feel My caresses in the hands, in the mouth, in the body of the one you love, and be transformed.

Thou who thinks to know Me, know that I am the untamed wind, the fury of the storm and passion in your soul. Seek Me with courage, lest you be swept away in the seeking. Seek with pride and humility, but see Me best with love and strength, for this is My path, and I love not the weak and fearful. Come unto Me and learn the secrets of death and peace.

Hear My call on long winter nights, and we shall stand together guarding Her Earth as She sleeps. Gather in the moonless night and speak in unknown tongues; the Dark Mother and I will listen. Sing to Us and cry out, and the Power will be yours to wield. Come dance; come love and smile, for behold: This is My worship. You are My children and I am thy Father.

Blow Me a kiss when the sky is dark, and I will smile, but no kiss return, for My kiss is the final one for all mortal flesh.

 

   II do not know who wrote these to works. I got them from a friend of mine. And they never said where they came from. So I can't give credit to the authors. I gonna make this a short lesson, and stop here. The nexted lesson will be about the roles of the Lord, and Lady.

 

       Blessed Be, Elder RavenFire

 

©All rights reserved-2007- The words expressed here are the sole property of Elder RavenFire, and may not be copied, reused or reposted without the consent of Elder RavenFire.